Ratatouille is a simple dish of layered vegetables cooked until tender.Add to My Collection
- 500 g eggplant
- 500 g zucchini
- 500 g onions
- 1 can tomatoes or 750g fresh tomatoes skinned, de-seeded and chopped
- 3 capsicums (red, yellow, green)
- 100 ml olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- bunch of fresh parsley or basil
- salt and pepper
- Cooking the vegetables separately at first helps them to retain their own character and the end result is a harmony of flavours.
- Peel the eggplants and cut into 8mm lengthways slices, then cut the slices into 8mm strips.
- Leave the zucchini unpeeled but slice them into the same sized strips. Place the aubergines and zucchinis in colanders. Sprinkle with salt. Weight down with a small plate and weights and leave to drain for 30 minutes. Rinse under cold water and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Heat 3 tablespoon of the olive oil in a frying pan and fry the eggplant for about 1 minute on each side. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a large bowl, and repeat with the zucchinis. Add half the remaining oil and cook the onions and peppers slowly for about 10 mins; stir in the garlic and season to taste. Transfer to the bowl. Add the remaining oil to the pan and stir in the tomatoes and parsley or basil.
- Cook briskly for a few minutes to evaporate some of the moisture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place a layer of tomatoes in a heavy flameproof casserole, then add layers of the other vegetables, ending with a layer of tomatoes. Cover and simmer over a low heat for 10 mins. Baste the vegetables with the juices and correct seasoning. Turn up the heat and cook , uncovered for another 20mins. Serve hot or cold as a side dish.
Calories: 356kcalCarbohydrates: 29gProtein: 5gFat: 26gSaturated Fat: 4gSodium: 22mgPotassium: 995mgFiber: 9gSugar: 17gVitamin A: 3073IUVitamin C: 149mgCalcium: 72mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!